Bausch & Lomb Compound Monocular
Designated the Universal Model by the Bausch & Lomb Optical Company, this inverted microscope was introduced in 1886. Most of the microscope is constructed of brass and it measures 14 1/2 inches tall.
The circular-tripod base has been weighted to add stability to the microscope, and supports a tubular pillar that holds the stage, body, and eye tube on an angular arm. The stage is circular brass ring with a heavy glass center that is screwed into a limb plate attached to the arm. Also attached to the arm is a smaller sliding rod that supports a double mirror on a short shaft to reflect illumination through a specimen and into the objective. The objective is mounted above the microscope body, which consists of a prism box with an attached nosepiece and a threaded opening into which the drawtube containing the eyepiece is screwed. Focus is achieved by a rack mechanism that is controlled by a knurled knob that moves the microscope body up and down with respect to the stage.
BACK TO NINETEENTH CENTURY MICROSCOPES
Questions or comments? Send us an email.
© 1998-2013 by
Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University.
All Rights Reserved. No images, graphics, scripts, or applets may be reproduced or used in any manner without permission from the copyright holders. Use of this website means you agree to all of the Legal Terms and Conditions set forth by the owners.
Last modification: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:43 AM
Access Count Since June 10, 1999: 21549
For more information on microscope manufacturers,
use the buttons below to navigate to their websites: